NEWARK, Del. (CBS) — Firefighters battled a multi-alarm blaze at an apartment complex in Newark, Delaware on Tuesday afternoon. Officials say the two-alarm fire was caused by candles that ignited combustibles in a third-floor apartment at the Fairfield Apartments.
5 families displaced after fire damages entire building at Fairfield Apartments on Country Club Drive in Newark, Delaware. Investigators deemed fire accidental from burning candles on 3rd floor; no injuries @CBSPhilly pic.twitter.com/UbQxoEi37j
— Chantee Lans CBS Philadelphia (@ChanteeLans) September 25, 2019
Firefighters were called out to the complex at 20 Country Club Drive around 5:45 p.m.
Fire officials say no one was injured in the fire but 11 apartments were damaged by the blaze.
The fire caused an estimated $1 million in damages, investigators say.