By Kimberly Davis

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Police say a 12-year-old boy lost at least one finger when an illegal device exploded in his hands Monday afternoon. Police say the incident happened shortly before 6 p.m at the Edward Houseman Recreation Center in the city’s Summerdale section.

The bomb squad believes the illegal explosive device that injured this young boy is the equivalent to a quarter stick of dynamite. Police are describing his injuries as “life-altering.”

READ MORE: Baltimore Man Charged With Attempted Murder In Stabbing Of Employee At 30th Street Station: Police

“The boy, he flew in the air past this black gate — higher in the air than this gate,” eyewitness Jalia Bradley said.

Eyewitnesses described the moment an illegal explosive device exploded in a 12-year-old boy’s hands just before 6 p.m. Monday in Northeast Philadelphia.

“Everybody was just in shock. Everybody just wanted to make sure that he was OK. All the older kids at the park ran him to his mother,” Bradley said.

South Philadelphia Corner Store Owner Critically Injured After Being Shot During Attempted Robbery, Neighbors Say

The explosion happened in the field of Houseman Recreation Center. The child is now being treated at St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children.

READ MORE: Coatesville Area Senior High School Student Stabbed During Fight, School District Says

According to police, the boy lost at least one finger during the explosion and suffered serious injuries to his palm and knuckles.

“We’re getting information that this 12-year-old lit the fuse. When the device did not explode, the 12-year-old boy then picked it back up and that’s when it did explode,” Philadelphia Chief Inspector Scott Small said.

“He was airborne, because he’s small and petite and skinny so he flew,” Bradley said.

‘Missing 2 Or 3 Fingers’: 9-Year-Old Critically Injured After Fireworks Explode In Hands In Kensington Home, Officials Say

Just last week, a 9-year-old girl lost nearly all of her fingers when an improvised device exploded in her hands. Those in Northeast Philly are hoping tragedies like this can be prevented.

“We just really want to raise awareness and make sure everybody is keeping an eye out on their kids and making sure they don’t get access to lighters,” Bradley said.

MORE NEWS: Lucy The Elephant Will Reopen For Tours On Friday

The scene was very bloody but doctors believe the boy will survive. Police also believe someone is illegally manufacturing and selling these devices.