VENTNOR, N.J. (CBS/AP) — The mother of a 29-year-old Atlantic County man who died of a rare brain-eating amoeba is suing the Texas water park where he likely caught the bacteria. Fabrizio Stabile, of Ventnor, died last September of an infection spread by contaminated water that enters the body through the nose.
Health officials say testing at the Waco Surf Resort found evidence of the amoeba.READ MORE: Several People Rescued, Cars Stranded Following Overnight Storms And Flash Flooding Across Region Tredyffrin/Easttown School District Meeting On New Race Curriculum Draws Full House
The Houston Chronicle reports that Rita Stabile’s lawsuit seeks more than $1 million. The lawsuit was filed last week. It alleges the park’s blue-green dyed waters “masked a pathogen soup” that allowed the amoeba to thrive.
The park says it’s since installed a new water filtration system.MORE NEWS: Philadelphia Police Officer Opens Fire On 2 Armed Men In West Mount Airy
(© Copyright 2019 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)