Follow CBSPHILLY Facebook  | Twitter

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — An intense manhunt is on for a suspect after three officers were injured when a police chase ended in a crash on I-95 in Philadelphia on Wednesday morning.

READ MORE: Cherry Hill School District Psychologist Francesca Aldrich Helping Inspire, Connect Students Through Virtual Black History Month Book Club


A police chase coming out of Delaware ended in an accident on I-95 northbound, near the Enterprise Avenue exit. Police were trying to apprehend 20-year-old Dejuan Robinson, who is wanted for numerous offenses out of Delaware.

Wilmington Police say they attempted to stop a suspect when a pursuit ensued on I-495 northbound around 11 a.m. Police say while traveling on I-95 northbound, past the Philadelphia International Airport, the suspect rammed his vehicle into another motorist, which caused a collision with Wilmington officers.

Two Wilmington Police officers were injured, as well as one Pennsylvania State Police trooper. The two officers suffered minor injuries and are being treated at Penn Presbyterian Hospital. The trooper declined a transport to the hospital.

The suspect was also involved in an accident when he dumped his car at Broad Street and Oregon Avenue in South Philadelphia. Police say Robinson hit a white Honda and his black Acura then slammed into the side of a SEPTA bus.

No one on the bus was hurt, but the woman driving the Honda was taken to the hospital.

“Our bus was stopped here, picking up more people, and the black car with the suspect, or whoever, came coming around the corner, hit a car with an elderly lady, they slammed into us, and before the car stopped moving, he was out of the car booking it running,” said witness Evan Ewing.

Robinson then ditched his jacket and took off running east down Oregon Avenue.

Philadelphia Police say Robinson is considered armed and dangerous. Dozens of officers are searching for Robinson in South Philadelphia.

“He is, however, wanted for parole and probation violations in Delaware and the underlying offense for the violations do involve firearms. He’s now wanted in Philadelphia because of the incidents that happened,” said Philadelphia Police Capt. Sekou Kinebrew.

Robinson is described as 5-foot-6, and weighing 160 pounds.

Multiple schools were placed on lockdown due to the police activity and the Philadelphia School District said the schools affected were dismissed with the police department’s assistance. They include A.S. Jenks Elementary School, Bregy Elementary School, D. Newlin Fell School and South Philadelphia High School.


“We were in lockdown from I believe it was 11:40 to dismissal time,” one teacher said.

The school teacher who asked not to be on camera described the atmosphere in her classroom.

“We weren’t allowed to contact the outside world, we weren’t allowed to use cell phones or computers at any time and neither were the students.”

The lockdowns have since been lifted and the staggered dismissals happened between 2:50 p.m. and 3:40 p.m.

MORE NEWS: Radnor School District Moves To Phase 1 Of COVID Plan, Full School Days For Kindergarten-5th Graders Begin Monday

I-95 northbound was closed for around three hours at the Platt Bridge due to the crash, but is now back open.