Follow CBSPHILLY Facebook | Twitter
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — The holiday travel rush is on tonight with millions on the move ahead of Christmas.
Whether on the roads, at the train station, or airport, holiday travel is up this year.
AAA forecasts that more than a third of Americans will travel this holiday season.
The record-breaking 112 million travelers represent a 4.4 percent increase over last year.
The TSA in Philly expects to screen six percent more travelers this year. TSA reps say they’re ready.
Many travelers are not phased by the long lines.
“I love traveling. It’s really fun,” said Addison Weiss.
“It’s definitely busy, it’s been a positive experience,” Alex Smith said.
The weather is something Horace Miller wanted to avoid.
“That’s why I don’t drive with the rain and everything so. I decided to take the train,” said Horace Miller.
Bertha Lewis just arrived in Philly from New York.
“There were a lot of people that were on the platform so this is a busy day,” she said.
The Philadelphia International Airport officials want you to remember a few tips:
• Checkpoint C is TSA Pre-Check only. TSA Pre-Check lanes are also located at Checkpoints A-East (Gates A 1-13), and D-E. There is no Pre-Check at A-West, B or F.
• Once you are through security, all terminals and gates are accessible. It’s about a 15-minute walk between F and C Terminal. American operates free shuttles between Terminals C and F and Terminals A and F.
• If you are flying American Airlines, check your terminal as well as departure gate before you arrive at the Airport so you know where to check in and go through TSA screening. American flights depart from Terminals A-West, A-East, B, C and F.
• Know the TSA 3-1-1 rule. Which is that you are allowed a quart-sized bag of liquids, aerosols, gels, creams and pastes through checkpoints. They can only be 3.4 ounces (100 milliliters) or less. Check tsa.gov for more details.
• Know your airline’s baggage policy before coming to the airport by checking their website or contacting them directly. If you have a question about Airport security or what you can take in your carry-on or checked bags, check tsa.gov, contact @AskTSA on Twitter and Facebook, or call 866.289.9673.
• Do not wrap gifts as they may be opened for inspection.
• If you’re parking at the Airport, check space availability in each garage at phl.org.
• The free Cell Phone Lot is conveniently located 1 minute from all bag claim areas. Don’t wait on the roadways for your party to be picked up. Don’t leave the lot until your passenger is at curb side with luggage ready to be picked up.
• If you see something, say something. Tell a police officer or call 3111 from a white courtesy phone. Safety is everyone’s business.