Follow CBSPHILLY Facebook  | Twitter

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — A suspect was killed and a three officers were injured in a police-involved shooting in the Tacony section of Philadelphia on Monday afternoon.

READ MORE: 78,000 Pounds Of Infant Formula Arrives In United States

The shooting happened at Hegerman Street and Princeton Avenue around 4 p.m.

Police say members of the Northeast Narcotics Field Unit were serving a warrant in the area of the 7100 block of Cottage Street and were setting up on the block when they saw a suspect in the investigation driving a black Toyota Camry.

Police say officers then began following the suspect when he stopped at Hegerman Street and Princeton Avenue. That’s when, police say, three officers walked up to the suspect’s car.

“It was a search warrant so they knew who he was by face and by the car,” said Philadelphia Police Capt. Sekou Kinebrew.

According to police, the suspect then struck one of the officers, where he sustained injuries to his knee and hip. Another officer then opened fire on the suspect, firing three rounds and killing him.

“I heard people yelling, screeching tires,” one neighbor said.

“They said get out, get out, he wouldn’t get out and they shot him,” another neighbor said.

READ MORE: Former Pennsylvania AG Kathleen Kane Due In Court For Alleged Probation Violation

The other two officers were not struck by the vehicle, but still sustained injuries.

The three injured officers are expected to be fine.

“We heard all these cop cars pulling up to this car. My best friend saw them put a body in the ambulance,” said witness Willene Brinkley.

Kinebrew says the suspect did not return fire on the officer.

Some longtime neighbors are shaken by the incident.

“I’m terrified. I would like to move out of the neighborhood as quickly as possible,” said Rita Grace.

The officer who discharged his gun is 51 years old and has served 10 years in the narcotics division.

MORE NEWS: Allentown Lowers Part-Time, Seasonal Employment Age Requirement To 15

The identity of the suspect killed has not yet been released.