SMYRNA, Del. (CBS) –The Delaware Department of Justice has announced they will be charging 18 inmates in connection to the deadly uprising that happened at the James T. Vaughn Correctional Center earlier this year.
The violent prison standoff in February claimed the life of Lieutenant Steven Floyd and injured two correctional officers. A counselor was also kidnapped during the riot. Officials say inmates took control of a building to protest “unfair conditions.”READ MORE: Mayor Kenney Signs Bill To Lower City's Wage Tax, Giving Very Small Boost To Paychecks
The DoJ says out of the 18 inmates who have been indicted, 16 have been charged with first degree murder. Nine of the accused are already serving sentences for murder.
Two others were also charged with four counts of kidnapping.
The defendants are all currently incarcerated in Delaware correctional facilities and have been since Feb. 2.
The following inmates have been charged:
1. Jarreau Ayers, age 36 – currently serving a life sentence for Murder 1st Degree and other charges
2. Abednego Baynes, age 25 – currently serving 18 years for Murder 2nd Degree
3. Kevin Berry, age 27 – currently serving 14 years for three counts of Robbery 1st Degree and other charges
4. John Bramble, age 28 – currently serving 40 years for Possession of a Firearm During the Commission of a Felony, Assault Second Degree, Possession of a Firearm by a Person Prohibited, Possession of Ammunition by a Person Prohibited, and Home invasion
5. Abdul-Haqq El-Qadeer, aka Louis Sierra, age 31 – currently serving a life sentence for Murder 1st DegreeREAD MORE: Phillies' Bryce Harper To Have Thumb Surgery Wednesday, Team Hopes He'll Return This Season
6. Deric Forney, age 28 – currently serving 11 years for Possession of a Firearm During Commission of a Felony, Possession of a Firearm By a Person Prohibited and drug charges
7. Kelly Gibbs, age 29 – currently serving 24 years 9 month sentence for Murder 2nd Degree
8. Robert Hernandez, age 36 – an inmate from New Mexico serving a 16-year sentence for Murder 2nd Degree in that state
9. Janiis Mathis, age 25 – currently serving 15 years for Assault 2nd Degree and other charges
10. Lawrence Michaels, age 31 – currently serving 19 years for Kidnapping 1st Degree, Attempted Robbery 1st Degree, Possession of a Firearm during Commission of a Felony and other charges
11. Obadiah Miller, age 25 – currently serving 10 years for Manslaughter and Possession of a Firearm During the Commission of a Felony
12. Jonatan Rodriguez, age 25 – currently serving 40 years for Manslaughter and other charges
13. Alejandro Rodriguez-Ortiz, age 27 – currently serving 40 years for Manslaughter and other charges
14. Roman Shankaras, age 30 – currently serving 7 years for Riot and two counts of Robbery 1st
15. Corey Smith, age 32 – currently serving 14 years for a Violation of Probation for Possession of a Deadly Weapon by a Person Prohibited, Violation of Probation for Carrying a Concealed Deadly Weapon, Attempted Robbery First Degree, Assault Second Degree, Promoting Prison Contraband
16. Dwayne Staats, age 35 – currently serving a life sentence for Murder 1st Degree
17. Pedro Chairez, age 42 – an inmate from Arizona serving a 43-year sentence for Murder 2nd and other charges committed in that stateMORE NEWS: Arson Suspect Arrested In Connection To Fire, Building Collapse That Killed Philadelphia Fire Lt. Sean Williamson
18. Royal Downs, age 52 – an inmate from Maryland serving a life sentence for Murder 1st Degree and other charges committed in that state