By Euan McKirdy, Zayn Nabbi, Samantha Beech and Darran Simon

MANCHESTER (CNN) — At least 22 people, including children, have been killed in a blast at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, in the deadliest terror attack on British soil since the 2005 London bombings.

READ MORE: Missing 6-Year-Old Found Safe, Stolen Vehicle Found In Checkers Parking Lot, Police Say

Police said they believe a man carrying explosives acted as a lone attacker and died in the powerful explosion that shook part of the cavernous Manchester Arena as concertgoers streamed out after the American pop star’s last song. A 23-year-old man has been arrested in south Manchester in connection to the bombing, police said.


British Prime Minister Theresa May condemned the attack as “callous” and “cowardly.”

Latest developments

59 people injured, some in life-threatening situations.

US President Donald Trump slams attackers as ‘losers’.

Prime Minister to visit Manchester later Tuesday.

Ariana Grande tweets that the incident has left her ‘broken’.

British party leaders suspend general election campaigning.

Emergency phone line set up: +44 (0)161 856 9400.

Speaking after an emergency Cabinet meeting, the Prime Minister said police had identified the suspected attacker, though she did not reveal his name.

“It is now beyond doubt that the people of Manchester and of this country have fallen victim to a callous terrorist attack. An attack that targeted some of the youngest people in our society with cold calculation,” she said.

“We struggle to comprehend the warped and twisted mind that sees a room packed with young children not a scene to cherish but as an opportunity for carnage.”

Images from the scene show people running in a panic down stairs to escape the 21,000-seat arena amid the relentless screams of frightened children and young teenagers. Some parents say their children are still missing.

Greater Manchester Police Chief Constable Ian Hopkins said that police were investigating whether the attacker was part of a larger network or plot.

Grande, who had just finished the first of three scheduled UK performances, tweeted about her devastation several hours later: “broken. from the bottom of my heart, i am so so sorry. i don’t have words.”

Britain has been under a “severe” terror threat alert for three years and there has been an uptick in terror-related arrests in recent months.

Police have been warning that another attack was highly likely after a man plowed his car into a crowd on London’s Westminister Bridge in March and stabbed a policeman, in an attack that left six dead.

Monday’s bomb attack has raised concerns that a more sophisticated network may exist in the country than previously thought.

‘I want her home’

The explosion rocked the Manchester Arena at around 10:30 p.m. (5:30 pm ET) as Grande fans, many of them young teenagers and children, left the venue.

Confusion ensued as people fled in a panic for safety, and the sound of wailing sirens soon cut through the smoky air outside.

Witnesses described chaotic scenes of children crying and parents desperately trying to find their children as cell phone signals faltered in the deluge of calls.

Some parents still haven’t heard from their children.

“We’ve tried everything we can. They’re telling us to wait by the phones,” Manchester resident Charlotte Campbell told CNN as she waited for news on her daughter, Olivia.

The 15-year-old had gone to the concert with a friend and neither have been in contact, she said.

“Her dad is out looking … It’s the most horrible feeling ever, to know your daughter is there and you don’t know whether she’s dead or alive.

READ MORE: 23-Year-Old Dies After Tuesday Night Shooting In Kensington, Police Say

“I want her home and I want her safe. … I just want her to walk through the door.”

Grande, who had just finished the first of three scheduled UK performances when the blast hit, was not injured. She tweeted about her devastation several hours later: “broken. from the bottom of my heart, i am so so sorry. i don’t have words.”

Police: IED used

Greater Manchester Police Chief Constable Ian Hopkins said that victims were being taken to eight hospitals and confirmed that children were among the dead.

“We believe the attacker was carrying an improvised explosive device which he detonated,” he said.

“We have been treating this as a terrorist incident and we believe at this stage that the attack was carried out by one man.”

Hopkins added that police were investigating whether the attacker was part of a larger network or plot.

As many as 400 police were deployed overnight, Hopkins said early Tuesday, and a CNN journalist saw a heavy armed police presence in parts of the city, particularly outside the Royal Infirmary Hospital where several victims are being treated.

Trump calls attackers ‘losers’

US President Donald Trump slammed the attack, saying that terrorists were “losers.”

“I extend my deepest condolences to those so terribly injured in this terrorist attack and to the many killed and the families, so many families, of the victims. We stand in absolute solidarity with the people of the United Kingdom,” Trump said.

“So many young beautiful innocent people living and enjoying their lives murdered by evil losers in life. I won’t call them monsters because they would like that term. They would think that’s a great name. I will call them from now on losers because that’s what they are.”

“This wicked ideology must be obliterated.”

A US Department of Homeland Security statement said it was “closely monitoring” the situation.

‘I brought my baby home’

The incident happened shortly after Grande had left the stage, according to witnesses.

Coral Long, the mother of a 10-year-old concertgoer, told CNN’s Hala Gorani that they were getting ready to leave the arena when they heard a loud bang from the left side of the arena that sent the large crowd running.

“How we weren’t crushed to death is a miracle.”

She said her daughter was devastated.

“For her to be 10 years old and witness something like that is just horrific.”

Social media posts from the scene showed concertgoers running down the arena’s stairs in an attempt to flee.

Karen Ford had taken her 13-year-old daughter to the concert and described “mayhem” on the street.

“There were children crying, trying to get in touch with parents, parents on their phones trying to contact their kids,” she said Monday night.

“I brought my baby home, which some people won’t be (able to do) tonight.”

A nearby hotel became a focal point for parents searching for their children who had been at the concert. Some hotels opened their doors to people who could not get home due to an area lockdown. Taxis and local people offered free rides to those affected.

The-CNN-Wire ™ & © 2017 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.

MORE NEWS: WATCH LIVE: Philadelphia Officials To Provide Update To Anti-Violence Efforts Underway Citywide