By Cleve Bryan

TRENTON, N.J. (CBS) — After a two-day standoff with police in Trenton a suspect has surrendered on Thursday afternoon.

Since 6:20 a.m. Wednesday, authorities attempted to get 35-year-old Tyleeb Reese to come out of his home. Reese refused to leave.

READ MORE: Man Killed In Road Rage Shooting In Springfield Identified, Authorities Say

Police: 1 Dead, 3 Officers Injured In Trenton, Barricade Situation Ongoing

Nearly 35 hours later, wearing no shirt and holding his arms high above his head, Reese surrendered shortly after 5 p.m. Thursday.

New Jersey State Police Spokesperson Trooper Lawrence Peele said he was arrested without incident.

The incident started when U.S. Marshals were trying to serve a warrant at a home on Centre Street in Trenton. It is a half mile away from the Trenton Thunder baseball stadium. But police say Reese fired at the officers and they moved out.

When those shots were fired police say a bystander, 56-year-old Robert Powell Jr., was shot and killed.

“I cried last night with my aunt and myself and it just really hurt me man cause I don’t understand why. He was just an innocent bystander,” Powell’s family member told CBS3.

Many residents in the neighborhood have been out of their homes since the standoff started. Officials say displaced residents can receive support services at Trenton’s Broad Street Senior Center.

READ MORE: Here's How To Help Your Pet Stay Calm, Safe During Fourth Of July Fireworks

“Yesterday, we served over 450 meals to residents of this area and children who were in need of services and we’ll continue to do that,” said Trenton Mayor Eric Jackson.

“I want to personally extend my gratitude to all of the men and women of our law enforcement community whose patience and professionalism contributed to this desired outcome,” said Mayor Jackson in a statement on Thursday night. “I also want to thank those friends and family members of Mr. Reece who convinced him to surrender without violence. When we work together in common cause with level heads, outcomes are generally better. I am praying with and for our community and especially the Powell and Reese-Bennett families. God bless you all.”

Police say three Mercer County sheriff’s deputies were hurt as well, but they were treated at the hospital and released.

According to court records, Reese was charged and pleaded guilty to sexual assault against a minor several years ago.

He was sentenced to 14 months in jail.

He was later charged with violating probation and sent to jail again.

According to authorities the reason he was being arrested early Wednesday morning was in regards to a sex crime offense.

No word yet on what criminal charges Reese will face in regards to the fatal shooting and standoff.

MORE NEWS: Philadelphia Boys Choir Heads To Puerto Rico For First Trip Since Pandemic: 'It's Really Exciting'