By Jan Carabeo

MIDDLETOWN, Del. (CBS) — The suspect wanted in the shooting death of a Delaware State Trooper was shot and killed by law enforcement Thursday morning, police say.

Authorities say around 9:17 a.m., the barricaded suspect exited his residence and engaged police. He was then fatally shot.

READ MORE: Son Of Philadelphia Police Officer Killed In North Philadelphia Robbery, DA Says

Police have identified him as Burgon Sealy. He was pronounced dead at the scene at 9:29 a.m.

Authorities identified the slain trooper as 32-year-old Cpl. Stephen Ballard. They say he leaves behind his wife and daughter.

“The 32-year-old, eight-and-a-half year veteran of the Delaware State Police Department, was killed in the line of duty Wednesday afternoon, after approaching the passenger in this burgundy car about suspicious activity,” said Delaware State Police Superintendent Nathaniel McQueen during a Thursday afternoon press conference.

Cpl. Ballard was shot multiple times while investigating what’s being described as a suspicious vehicle at a Wawa in Bear, Delaware, Wednesday afternoon.

The other man in the car was taken into custody.

Police say Sealy allegedly shot Ballard multiple times at close range and then fled the scene.

“Cpl. Ballard immediately went to the ground. The suspect then fired multiple rounds at close range,” McQueen said.

Authorities say after the shooting, Sealy called family members and told them what he had done. They then contacted law enforcement.

READ MORE: Officials Searching For Body In Schuylkill River In North Coventry

Police responded the 500 block of St. Michaels Drive in the Brick Mill Farm development where Sealy had barricaded himself inside a residence.

Authorities evacuated the neighbors. Some were out of their homes for nearly 24 hours.

Residents say they are tired and frustrated, but mostly saddened that this tragedy hit so close to home. Police say most have been allowed to return to their homes.

‘I Can’t Shake That’: Witnesses Describe Delaware State Trooper Being Fatally Shot

Police said before exiting the residence, Sealy fired at officers around 4 a.m. Tactical teams used explosives to breach the windows, but did not enter at that time.

Neighbors tell Eyewitness News they know the suspect’s family.

“It’s a pretty quiet family,” Joe Cobb says. “It’s a pretty quiet community.”

An autopsy will be performed on Sealy, police said at a press conference Thursday.

At Ballard’s home barracks, all thoughts are with his family and fellow troopers. His police car and his hat sit as a memorial to the ultimate sacrifice he made.

MORE NEWS: Philadelphia Amtrak Travelers Hit By 'Not Surprising' Service Reduction Amid COVID Staffing Shortage

A memorial fund has been set up for Ballard’s family.