By Justin Udo

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Valentine’s Day is supposed to be all fun, but many people don’t realize that it’s actually one of the most dangerous days of the year for pets.

Veterinarians say dogs and cats who consume chocolate and flowers can end up in the emergency room.

READ MORE: Philadelphia School District Students, Staff To Resume Masking As COVID Cases Continue To Rise In City

“In some cases they can progress to developing liver dysfunction or liver failure in a couple of days,” says Dr. Vince Hawley with Penn Vet.

READ: Couples Say ‘I Do’ At Senior Living Community’s Vow Renewal Ceremony

Dr. Hawley says animals can be sneaky and eat things without the owner’s knowledge, so there are some poisoning symptoms you should look out for and not take lightly.

READ MORE: Marquis Fletcher Charged With Murder For Shooting, Killing Woman In Camden

“They can have a range of clinical signs that can run from mild vomiting and diarrhea to, in more severe cases, heart arrhythmia,” he says. “They can even have things like tremors and seizures.”

Dr. Hawley says if your animal does display any of these symptoms, you should immediately contact your vet.

“If there is any concern at all, the best thing to do is always just reach out to your veterinarian,” he says. “There are also animal poison control hotlines that you can call, and what they’ll do is they’ll take a history and then be able to advise the owner whether they need to be concerned or not.”

Dr. Hawley adds that scented candles also can be harmful, especially for curious cats who may burn themselves or knock one over and start a fire.

MORE NEWS: Philadelphia Weather: Tornado Watch Issued For Parts Of Pennsylvania, Delaware And New Jersey As Gusty Thunderstorms Head Towards Region