PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Pope Francis is set to make his trip to the City of Brotherly Love on September 26-27. With the impending arrival of the Holy Father, there are a number of things that Philadelphians and visitors to the city need to be aware of.
The Francis Festival Grounds (originally known as the Traffic Box) will go into effect on Friday, September 25 at 6:00 p.m. in Center City and 10:00 p.m. in West Philadelphia. Emergency vehicles will be able to use Authorized Vehicle Access Roads beginning on Friday at 8 a.m.
Festival Grounds Boundaries: Center City
- Northern Boundary: Spring Garden to Ridge, Ridge to Girard, Girard to Schuylkill River
- Southern Boundary: South Street river to river
- East Boundary: Delaware Avenue from South Street to Spring Garden Street
- West Boundary: runs along the edge of the Schuylkill River and cuts up Kelly Drive stopping below the Girard Street Bridge
Festival Grounds Boundaries: West Philadelphia
- Northern Boundary: Powelton Avenue from 32nd to 38th
- Southern Boundary: University Avenue to Grays Ferry
- East Boundary: Runs along the edge of the Schuylkill River and train tracks
- West Boundary: 38th Street from Powelton Avenue to University Avenue
Road Closures: Closures will begin Friday, September 25 at 10:00 p.m.
- I-76 eastbound from I-476 to I-95
- I-76 westbound from I-95 to US Route 1
- I-676 will be closed in both directions from I-76 to I-95
- US Route 1 will be closed in both directions from US Route 30 to Belmont Avenue, because Pope Francis is staying at Saint Charles Borromeo Seminary.
- I-95 will remain open with selected exits closed
- The Ben Franklin Bridge will be closed to vehicle traffic and will reopen on Monday, September 28 at 12:00 p.m. The bridge will be open to pedestrian traffic and emergency personnel.
- Thurs, September 24, 10:00 p.m.: Secure perimeter around Benjamin Franklin Parkway and Secure Vehicle Perimeter will go into effect.
- Friday, September 25, 6:00 a.m.: Secure perimeter from 12th Street West until 20th Street will be opened to screened pedestrians only. No vehicles allowed in the Secured Vehicle Perimeter
- Friday, September 25, 8:00 a.m.: Authorized Vehicle Access roads go into effect
- Friday, September 25, 6:00 p.m.: Center City Francis Festival Grounds go into effect
- Friday, September 25, 10:00 p.m.: Secure perimeter around Independence Mall and the Secure Vehicle Perimeter go into effect as well as University City Festival Grounds.
- Saturday, September 26, 6:00 a.m.: Secure perimeter for the Benjamin Franklin Parkway from 20th Street West to the Art Museum and Independence Mall will open to ticketed pedestrians
Papal Events: CLICK HERE for full list of prohibited items for Papal Events
- Saturday, September 26, 10:00 a.m.: Mass at Cathedral Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul
- Saturday, September 26, 4:45 p.m.: Visit to Independence Mall
- Saturday, September 26, 7:30 p.m.: Visit to Festival of Families on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway
- Sunday, September 27, 9:15 a.m.: Meeting with bishops at St. Martin’s Chapel, St. Charles Borromeo Seminary
- Sunday, September 27, 11:00 a.m.: Visit to Curran-Fromhold Correctional Facility
- Sunday, September 27, 4:00 p.m.: Mass on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway
- Sunday, September 27, 7:00 p.m.: Visit with World Meeting of Families organizers
- Sunday, September 27, 8:00 p.m.: Departure for Rome
Click here for a list of businesses that will be open during the Papal Visit
Click here for more information and complete coverage of Pope Francis’ visit to Philadelphia.