KING OF PRUSSIA, Pa. (CBS) — Two construction workers were injured, one critically, by an electrical shock at the King of Prussia Mall early Monday morning.
The incident happened at about 7:20 a.m. inside the “Court” side of the King of Prussia Mall.
According to investigators, two construction workers were inside a “Scissor jack lift” as they were cutting electric cables beneath the second story floor of the existing section of the Mall, at the juncture of the newly-constructed portion.
An energized 13,000 volt, 200 amp cable was cut, resulting in the electrocution of one man and the slight injury of the second man.
When emergency crews arrived at the scene, they found a 36-year-old male unresponsive on the ground. Officer moved the victim to a safe area, began CPR and utilized an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) in efforts to revive the victim.
The victim was taken to Paoli Memorial Hospital where he is listed in critical condition.
The second victim, a 27-year-old male, was also taken to Paoli Hospital for treatment of non life-threatening injuries.
A third man male also taken to Paoli Hospital for precautionary treatment.
All three men are employed by Omni Electric Company based in Collegeville.
The company released the following statement:
“The Union electrical contractor Omni Electric performing the last of four primary electrical service relocations over the past few weeks had an accident early this morning. Unfortunately one electrician was seriously injured. The electrical service to one of the areas of the mall was restored an hour later than originally planned as a result of the incident. Everyone at the mall and involved in the project are primarily focus on the injured individual and are hoping for a fast recovery. A full investigation is being undertaken to evaluate what occurred.”