PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — A Philadelphia police officer was shot and killed during an attempted store robbery in North Philadelphia Thursday.

Police identified the officer as Robert Wilson III, an eight-year veteran of the force.

READ MORE: Lower Moreland Will Not Mandate Masks In Schools After Tense Community Meeting

Police say the incident was reported around 4:44 p.m. Thursday at 22nd Street and Lehigh Avenue.

According to police, Officer Wilson entered a GameStop store and while inside, two individuals came in and announced a robbery.

Police say there was an exchange of gunfire.

Police say the officer’s partner, hearing the sound of gunshots, engaged one of the suspects and again there was another exchange of gunfire.

The call for “officer down” went out at 4:44 p.m. Officer Wilson was taken to Temple University Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 6:25 p.m.

Police say one of the suspects was shot and was taken to the hospital for treatment.

According to police, a second person was taken into custody.

LISTEN: Officials Hold Press Conference On Shooting Of Philadelphia Police Officer

READ MORE: 15-Year-Old In Critical Condition, 2 Other Teens Injured In Triple Shooting Outside Simon Gratz High School: Police


Around 8 p.m., the Philadelphia Police Department tweeted:

“The entire department is in shock and is in mourning,” said Philadelphia Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey.

Police say the 30-year-old officer leaves behind two children, a nine-year-old boy and a one-year-old, and his grandmother.

WATCH: Philadelphia Police Remember Officer Robert Wilson III

“I knew him and had met him. He was one of the best police officers this city has to offer period,” said Ramsey.

“I just want to echo what the Commissioner stated, that Officer Wilson was an outstanding officer. He was the leader of his squad,” said Philadelphia Police Captain Robert Glenn.

MORE NEWS: Dave McCormick Sues Over Counting Mail Ballots In Pennsylvania Republican Senate Race

Police say two weapons were recovered from the scene. The officer’s weapon has been recovered as well.