TRENTON, N.J. (AP) — A New Jersey appellate court says a man cannot seek damages for burns he suffered while bowing his head in prayer over a sizzling steak fajita skillet at a restaurant.

The ruling made public Wednesday upheld a lower court ruling that dismissed his lawsuit. The man claimed a waitress didn’t warn him the dish was hot, but the lower court found the food posed an “open and obvious” danger.

READ MORE: Student, Brother In Custody After Shooting Near Lincoln High School Leaves Man Dead, 16-Year-Old Injured, Police Say

It happened in 2010 at an Applebee’s in Burlington County.

READ MORE: Philadelphia School District Warns Of Shift To Virtual Learning If SEPTA Strike Occurs

The man said he bowed his head, then heard a loud sizzle followed by a grease pop. He then felt a burning sensation in his left eye and on his face.

The man said he panicked and knocked the food on his lap, causing more burns. The burns didn’t cause scarring.

MORE NEWS: Prosecutors Outline Close Working Relationship Between John Dougherty, Bobby Henon In Corruption Trial

(© Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)