PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Police confirm that an underground fire triggered and explosion late Sunday afternoon in Center City.

This happened just before 5 p.m. at 15th and Locust Streets.

READ MORE: McNeil Homers, Lindor Piles Up RBIs As Mets Beat Phils 8-2

Police say a fire had sparked the electrical wiring right underneath the street, resulting in flames and smoke. An explosion then blew off a manhole cover, which shocked those walking by:

“Right after the explosions happened, everyone started running by,” nearby worker Kyle Sormilich tells CBs 3 Eyewitness News. “You could see fire, you could see smoke, people started clearing the area right away.”

READ MORE: Triple Shooting In West Oak Lane Leaves Man Dead, 2 Women Exiting Funeral Services At Church Injured, Philadelphia Police Say

No injuries were reported and crews quickly placed the fire under control.

Some residents and buildings on the 1500 block of Locust Street had to be evacuated. Officials said their main concern was the spread of carbon monoxide.

PECO says a smoldering underground cable is to blame for the initial fire.

MORE NEWS: East Coventry Police Officer That Helped 2 Kids Escape Chester County House Fire Opens Up About Incident

Bomb squad units were also on the scene earlier in the day as a precaution.