By Kevin Kinkead

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Defender Carlos Valdes did not take part in Philadelphia Union training on Monday morning.

READ MORE: Delaware County Authorities Have 'Substantial Leads' As Search Deadly Road Rage Shooting Suspect Continues

Valdes was wearing street clothes when he walked into YSC Sports in Wayne, PA, just before noon. Rumors link the center back with a transfer to South America, and the Union addressed those rumors via a statement from technical director Chris Albright.

“Regarding Carlos, there’s a negotiation ongoing,” Albright told reporters after the training session. “Nothing is finalized as of yet. We hope to have further news shortly, but in the interest of negotiations, we’re going to resist commenting any further.”

The Union center back spoke with Albright after arriving at the facility. He then spoke with Union manager Jim Curtin and CEO and Operating Partner Nick Sakiewicz.

A courteous Valdes told the media afterward that he had no comment on the situation.

READ MORE: New Jersey Woman Diagnosed With Breast Cancer Finds New Calling In Comedy

Valdes has been linked recently with Uruguayan club “Nacional”, with some outlets even saying that a deal was already in place.

But a Union spokesman could not confirm or deny whether the ongoing negotiations involved the Montevideo-based club.

This situation is the latest in the long-standing push-and-pull involving the player.

Valdes left the Union on loan at the end of the 2012 season. As the story goes, Colombia national team manager Jose Pekerman wanted Valdes to move to South America in order to improve his chances of representing his country at the 2014 World Cup. That dream came true last summer when Valdes was named to Los Cafeteros 23-man roster.

MORE NEWS: WATCH: Eagles' Jordan Mailata Sings 'Wanted Dead Or Alive' At Sea Isle Bar During Eagles Fundraiser

Following the tournament, madness ensued with the player’s return to Philadelphia. Reports out of Argentina said that Valdes had not showed up for training at San Lorenzo. Other reports said Valdes had not been paid. Rumors and reports became hard to comprehend. In some manner, however, the defender found his way back to PPL Park and played the second half of the season for the Union.