CALIFORNIA, Pa. (AP) — A university student and basketball player in Pennsylvania likely inhaled chewing gum into her lungs while asleep before being found dead in her dormitory over the weekend.

The Washington County coroner’s office said 21-year-old Shanice Clark of Toronto was found unresponsive at about 3 a.m. Sunday at California University of Pennsylvania.

READ MORE: Open For Business: En Arabesque Dancewear Owner Bringing Passion And Dance Products To Bucks County

University officials said they were “deeply saddened” by the death of the 6-foot senior forward, who was redshirting after playing two dozen games for the Vulcans last season.

California borough police say a preliminary report from medical personnel indicated that the death appeared to be accidental.

READ MORE: 'They Just Want To Be Free': Rally Planned In Support Of Ukraine At Philadelphia Art Museum

An autopsy was conducted Monday.

Although the coroner didn’t immediately release the results, police say medical personnel indicated Clark aspirated the chewing gum while sleeping.

(© Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

MORE NEWS: EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Man Jumps On Hood To Stop Thieves As Car Thefts Rise In South Jersey

Must Read Today’s Top Talkers:
[display-posts category=”talkers” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”5″]