PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Oregon, Ohio, is in a tough situation ahead of the National Title Game. The town is looking to support the Buckeyes, but their name is clearly associated with the enemy.
From now, until the end of the game, that is no longer the case.
Residents of the town created a petition to urge the city to change their name for at least the day of the game. On Monday, Mike Sefarian, the mayor of Oregon, announced on Monday that the city would be known as “Oregon, Ohio: Buckeyes on the Bay, City of Duck Hunters.”
While the new name is quite a mouthful, it will only be in place throughout the week leading up to the game. City leadership thought it best not to drop the Oregon from their name completely, but they made their point very clear with the ‘Duck Hunters’ addition to the name.
Check Out These Sports Stories:
- Bernard Hopkins Enters The First Of Many Hall Of Fames This Weekend In Atlantic City
- Sixers May Find These Five At No. 24 In NBA Draft
- Slumping Phillies Drop Game 1 Of Doubleheader To Nationals, 6-2
- Flyers Sign Center Kevin Hayes To 7-Year Contract
- Inclement Weather Postpones Phillies-Nationals For 2nd Straight Night