BROWNSVILLE, Pa. (AP) — State police say a Pennsylvania man was found dead after a house fire when he fell asleep while cooking.

Troopers from the Belle Vernon barracks say the victim is 47-year-old Anthony Joseph Willis.

The Brownsville man’s roommate tells police that Willis started cooking food about 1 a.m. Sunday and then fell asleep as the food and stove caught fire.

Police say it appears he tried to get out of a first-floor window, but could not.

Willis’ roommate tells authorities he found the victim’s body in a first-floor living room shortly after 4 a.m. Sunday.

Autopsy results were not immediately available Monday.

Police say the roommate told them that a water line in the kitchen burst, extinguishing the blaze before firefighters could arrive.

(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Must Read Today’s Top Talkers:
[display-posts category=”talkers” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”5”]