SOUTH BEND, Ind. (AP) — Jack Mitchell kicked a 45-yard field goal with 19 seconds left to force overtime and then kicked a 41-yard field goal to give Northwestern a 43-40 victory over No. 15 Notre Dame on Saturday.
The Wildcats closed to 40-37 with 4:10 left on a 6-yard touchdown run by quarterback Trevor Siemian and a two-point conversion on a run by Warren Long after Notre Dame (7-3, No. 18 CFP) was called for pass interference.
Both teams turned the ball over four times in a sloppy game. Notre Dame’s final turnover occurred with 1:28 when the Irish were trying to run out the clock and the usually reliable Cam McDaniel fumbled at the Northwestern 33-yard line when he was stripped by safety Ibraheim Campbell and it was recovered by linebacker Jimmy Hall.
Northwestern (4-6), which had minus-9 yards rushing last week against Michigan, rushed for 263 yards and had 547 yards of total offense, both season highs.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Check Out These Sports Stories:
- Ozuna Misses Altherr’s 2-Run 2B In 10th, Phils Top Cards 6-5
- ‘Boardwalk Eats’ At Citizens Bank Park Offering Shore-Themed Menu Items
- Phillies Send Former Closer Hector Neris To Triple-A
- NFL Stadiums To Have Fully Digital Ticket Systems In 2018-19 Season
- This Week In Golf: Brooks Koepka Defends U.S. Open Title At Shinnecock Hills