PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – New laws go into effect on Monday relaxing the punishment for some types of marijuana possession in Philadelphia.
Police will now issue a $25 fine to anyone caught with less than an ounce of pot. Someone caught smoking marijuana in public will receive a $100 fine and up to nine hours of community service.
Officials say the new policy does not legalize marijuana use or possession, but it allows law enforcement to focus on more serious offenses.
Check Out These Other Stories:
- Police: Suspects Wearing White Towels Over Faces Attempted To Sexually Assault Elderly Woman During Home Invasion In West Philadelphia
- Taste With Tori: Margate’s Lamberti’s Offering Scrumptious Plates And Tasty Drinks With A View
- Officials: 8 People Dead In Duck Boat Crash In Branson, Missouri
- ‘They Didn’t Have To Kill My Son’: Dozens March In Memory Of Rashaun Washington After Release Of Bodycam Footage Showing Vineland Police-Involved Shooting
- Report: Legalizing Marijuana In Pennsylvania Could Generate Over $500 Million In State Tax Revenue