By Jan Carabeo
NORRISTOWN, Pa. (CBS) – Authorities say a tractor trailer was involved in a hit-and-run crash in Norristown, Montgomery County late Thursday night, just before police opened fire on the vehicle.
Police arrived on the scene at Markley and West Main Streets near the Dannehauer Bridge at about 11:15 p.m. after reports of a truck driver speeding and driving erratically — hitting at least three parked cars.
According to police, the driver then sped away with police chasing him. After coming up on a dead end, the driver crashed through a guardrail, which is when police surrounded his truck.
The driver then put up his hands as if to surrender, but police say he then put his hands on the wheel and started to drive at the officers. That’s when police opened fire three times, hitting the driver once in the arm.
Police say the driver was then arrested and air lifted to Hahnemann Hospital. His condition is unknown at this time.
Police have not identified the driver yet, and say they haven’t been able to reach his family, but they do say he is a 46[CLIP-year-old from New Jersey.
The DA’s office will now review the case because this was an officer-involved shooting.
Police are investigating and say they are looking into whether any illegal substances played a role here.
- 3 Hospitalized After Triple Shooting In Philly
- Police Questioning Suspect In Canada After School Threat In Upper Merion Township
- Eagles’ Rodney McLeod Providing Free Health Services To Nearly 2,000 Kids In Camden
- Hundreds Of Strangers Show Up At Funeral To Honor New Jersey Veteran Who Died Without Any Family
- 19 Children Have Died From Flu So Far This Season, CDC Report Says
- Crews, Residents Prepare For 2nd Round Of Snow As First Winter Blast Wraps Up
- 1 Dead, Another Critically Injured In North Philadelphia Double Shooting
- Protest Takes Place Outside Philadelphia International Airport As Government Shutdown Now In 28th Day
- New Jersey, Pennsylvania Declare State Of Emergency Ahead Of Winter Storm
- Pennsylvania Woman Tried To Kidnap Kangaroo From Petting Zoo, Take It To Florida, Police Say