By Jan Carabeo
NORRISTOWN, Pa. (CBS) – Authorities say a tractor trailer was involved in a hit-and-run crash in Norristown, Montgomery County late Thursday night, just before police opened fire on the vehicle.
Police arrived on the scene at Markley and West Main Streets near the Dannehauer Bridge at about 11:15 p.m. after reports of a truck driver speeding and driving erratically — hitting at least three parked cars.
According to police, the driver then sped away with police chasing him. After coming up on a dead end, the driver crashed through a guardrail, which is when police surrounded his truck.
The driver then put up his hands as if to surrender, but police say he then put his hands on the wheel and started to drive at the officers. That’s when police opened fire three times, hitting the driver once in the arm.
Police say the driver was then arrested and air lifted to Hahnemann Hospital. His condition is unknown at this time.
Police have not identified the driver yet, and say they haven’t been able to reach his family, but they do say he is a 46[CLIP-year-old from New Jersey.
The DA’s office will now review the case because this was an officer-involved shooting.
Police are investigating and say they are looking into whether any illegal substances played a role here.
- Health Officials Identify First Case Of Blood-Sucking ‘Kissing Bug’ In Delaware
- Officials Investigating After Restaurant Workers Caught Pouring Unknown Liquid Into Manayunk Storm Drain
- ‘He Betrayed Us, He Lied To Us’: Police Officer’s Widow, FOP Call For DA Krasner’s Resignation Over Abu-Jamal Appeal
- Delivery Driver Danger: Valuables, Vehicles And Pizza Stolen From Delivery Drivers In Series Of Armed Robberies
- Washington Township First Responders, High School Students Participate In Active School Shooter Drill
- 2 Trenton Police Officers Facing Federal Charges After Assaulting Man During Arrest, US Attorney Says
- NRG Announces Charity Finalists For Donation Contest
- Susan G. Komen Philadelphia’s ‘More Than Pink’ Walk Coming To Art Museum On Mother’s Day
- Man In Easter Bunny Suit Involved In Florida Brawl Wanted In New Jersey For Car Burglaries
- Thousands Of Child Sex Abuse Cases Listed In Boy Scouts ‘Perversion Files,’ Attorney Says