By Cleve Bryan
ATLANTIC CITY, NJ (CBS) — An Atlantic City man was arrested on Sunday for allegedly killing his mother, Atlantic County Prosecutor Jim McClain announced.
Police were called to an Atlantic City residence early on Sunday morning. Upon arrival, police found the resident, Gwendolyn Pratt, 64, dead of apparent head injuries. The victim’s son, Steven Pratt, 46, of the same address, was found at the scene and detained by police.
Friends say that Steven Pratt received a warm welcome after coming home from prison.
“Her son came home Friday and we had a good party for him, a coming home party,” says Kevin Murray, a close friend of Gwendolyn Pratt.
Murray expressed concerns about Steven living with Gwendolyn but she felt obligated to help him.
“I said your son’s coming home and you really don’t know him, he’s been gone for so long and she expressed to me that it was her son,” says Murray.
County Prosecutor Jim McClain authorized the charge of murder against Pratt. He was lodged in the Atlantic County Justice Facility in lieu of $1 million cash bail.
Pratt had been released from New Jersey State Prison on Friday, Oct. 10, after completing a 30-year prison sentence for a 1984 murder.
You may also be interested in these stories:
- Toronto Gunman Kills Woman, Injures 13, Police Say
- Facebook Post Prompts Pittsburgh Woman To Donate Kidney To South Jersey Man
- Protests Channeling ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ Planned Ahead Of Vice President Mike Pence’s Visit To Philadelphia
- Military Vet Receives Camden County Service Medal
- ‘I Want To Prove To The World That God Does Exists Through Science’: 11-Year-Old William Maillis Earns College Degree