By Diana Rocco
BRISTOL TOWNSHIP, Pa., (CBS) — There is one high school football team in Bucks County that doesn’t have to look far for their inspiration.
The Truman Tigers may be down on the scoreboard, but one player stands out for the way he’s always building them up.
Truman High School senior Xavier Thomas has Asperger’s Syndrome. Two years ago, the timid sophomore was asked to join the football team without ever stepping on a field. And in just two seasons, he’s quickly become one of their sideline superstars.
“His energy permeates our team,” Truman Head Coach Jon Craig said. “He’s always encouraging everybody. He wants to see everyone do well. He’ll go out on a play for scrimmage, knock somebody down and he’ll help them back up.”
Xavier is the third string guard and tackle. Football has become his passion.
“It feels pretty amazing to wear all this Truman gear and show my school spirit out here,” Xavier said.
He’s spent the offseason in the weight room with his teammates and he’s seen a big improvement in his academic performance. His coach calls him an inspiration.
“You can’t let all the negative stuff come at you at once. Just keep on going,” Xavier said.
Xavier has overcome obstacles in football and in life, but says it’s his team that’s lifted him up.
“Make sure nothing comes between you and your dreams. In this case, my dream is to be on the Truman football team with all my friends and good coaches out here,” he said.
Xavier says football has taught him that anything he sets his mind to is possible and he’ll carry that with him after he graduates in June.
You may also be interested in:
- NCAA Tournament: Fans Cheer On Wildcats As Villanova Leaves For First-Round Game Against St. Mary’s
- Mike Trout Finalizing 12-Year, $430 Million Deal With Los Angeles Angels, Report Says
- Sports Betting Expected To Make Atlantic City Casinos Destination For NCAA Tournament
- Saint Joseph’s University Fires Head Men’s Basketball Coach Phil Martelli
- Sports Agent: ‘Angels Had To Make Sure Not To Risk’ Mike Trout Going On Free Agent Market