HAVERTOWN, Pa. (CBS) — One man is dead and another is injured after being shocked by high tension wires in Havertown, Delaware County.
“Rest in peace. God rest his soul – but yeah, it’s shocking.”
“Shocking” is the first word that came to mind for neighbor Bob Strickland, who spent the morning with the deadly accident scene across the street on Winton Avenue.
“I’m sorry for his family,” he added.
Investigators say they have a good grasp on what happened, but how it happened is going to take some work.
“We’re investigating how contact was made with one of the wires,” said Sgt. Shant Bedrossian, of the Haverford Township Police Department.
Two workers, who were setting up a ladder to begin working on a roof, lost control of the ladder and it struck one of the high tension wires above the house.
The current from the wire electrocuted a worker in his 50s. The second worker, who is in his 20s, was shocked and taken to the University of Pennsylvania Hospital with critical injuries. Police say he was conscious and responding when he was transported.
The investigation with Haverford Township and PECO is centered on that 14-foot aluminum ladder. Police have been taking measurements to find out how it could have hit one of the energized lines above.
PECO officials say they had to de-energize about 90-customers in the area as a precaution but have since restored power.
There is no word yet from Springfield-based roofing company as the investigation continues.
You may also be interested in these stories:
- Jury Deciding If Man Gets Sent To Death Row For Raping, Killing Girlfriend’s Adopted Daughter
- Temple To Hold First Walk-In Vaccination Clinic Wednesday Amid Over 100 Mumps Cases During Outbreak
- Pass And Stow In-Door Sports Bar, Shake Shack Among New Must-Try Food Features At Citizens Bank Park
- Police Investigating After Home In Pottstown Riddled With Bullets
- Pennsylvania Gets ‘F’ For Removing Lead Plumbing In Schools, Environmental Report Says