By Mike Dougherty, Dan Wing, Matt Rivers
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Police say a pregnant woman has died, and the baby she was carrying is in critical condition after a shooting in the Frankford section of Philadelphia.
It happened around 11:00 a.m. Sunday along the 1500 block of Adams Avenue.
Captain Steven Murianka says the gunman fired about a dozen shots at an unknown target and the victim, hundreds of yards away, got caught in the wrong place at the wrong time:
“She was watching her neighbors seven-year-old in close proximity, and one of the bullets from up here traveled down the block and struck her in the face.”
The victim has been identified as 26-year-old Megan Doto. She was rushed to Temple University Hospital where doctors performed an emergency C-section. The baby is listed in critical condition while the mother died a short time later. Neighbors say she was eight months pregnant.
“You can not let your kids play outside anymore. You’ve got to be careful. You’ve got to be watching them 24/7,” says the victims former landlord, Wanda Rosado.
Three people have been questioned by police, but there have been no arrests made. No weapons have been recovered either, but police say the shooter may have fled in a late-model, white Ford Crown Victoria with tinted windows.
Police are interviewing neighbors and want tips from anybody who saw this.
Investigators still trying to determine why shots fired in first place.
You may also be interested in these other stories:
- Sea Isle Police Searching To Identify Man Wanted In Aggravated Assault
- New Jersey Weather: Wintry Mix Hits South Jersey As State Of Emergency Remains In Effect Until 6 A.M. Thursday
- 4-Year-Old Boy Dies After Falling Onto Piece Of Glass In North Philadelphia, Police Say
- Delaware State Police Investigating After Trooper Seen On Video Pulling Gun On Driver During Traffic Stop
- Cervical Cancer Could Be Eliminated In Majority Of Countries By 2100, Study Says