ATLANTA (AP) — Cole Hamels and three Philadelphia Phillies relievers combined to pitch a no-hitter Monday, beating the Atlanta Braves 7-0 and giving a last-place team a rare reason to celebrate.
Hamels (8-6) was pulled after six innings and seemed fine with the decision. He struck out seven, walked five, hit a batter and threw 108 pitches on a hot afternoon at Turner Field.
Relievers Jake Diekman, Ken Giles and closer Jonathan Papelbon each pitched a hitless inning to finish off the fourth no-hitter in the majors this season.
Clayton Kershaw and Josh Beckett of the Dodgers and Tim Lincecum of the Giants each threw no-hitter earlier this year.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Check Out These Sports Stories:
- Jimmy Butler Hits 3 At Buzzer, 76ers Beat Hornets 112-119 In OT
- Flyers Force OT, Lose To Lightning 6-5
- Butler, Embiid Lead Sixers Past Jazz 113-107
- Shawnee At Clearview Friday Football Frenzy Game Of The Week For Nov. 16, 2018
- Clearview Regional High School’s Basketball Announcer Is A Viral Social Media Sensation