By Molly Daly
UPPER DARBY, Pa. (CBS) — A 58-year-old Upper Darby man faces a long list of charges after authorities say he took his nephews for a drunken joy ride Saturday afternoon, allowing one of them to steer as he enjoyed a beer.
Police made the discovery when they went to check out a parked car that was blocking traffic.
Just as they were getting out of the cruiser, Superintendent Michael Chitwood says the car lurched forward and stopped about three times, then made a sharp right turn.
When officers pulled alongside, Chitwood says, “They saw a small child sitting on the lap of a man who was all the way back in the driver’s seat, and in his hand was a 25 ounce can of beer.”
The boy at the wheel was eight, and his nine-year-old brother was in the back seat, both in the care of their uncle, Clarence Hairston.
“He was totally ossified. He was drunk, he couldn’t even stand up,” Chitwood said. “The police had to help him out.”
The kids were returned to their mother, and their babysitter is charged with a number of offenses, including driving under the influence and reckless endangerment.
- It’s Official: Joe Biden Announces He’s Running For President
- ‘Kate Smith Is Miss Patriotism’: Wildwood American Legion Creates Petition To Bring Smith Statue To The Shore
- 3 People Steal $450,000 Worth Of Colonoscopes From Lankenau Medical Center, Police Say
- 10-Year-Old Boy In Critical Condition After Being Struck By Van In West Oak Lane, Police Say
- Officials Rule Frankford House Fire Arson After Gas Can Found Inside