PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Mo’ne Davis, of Center City Philadelphia’s Taney Dragons, has become the first Little Leaguer to be featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated.
Davis, 13, is the star female pitcher for the Taney Dragons, who became the first urban Philadelphia team to win the PA State Title and also reach the Little League World Series in Williamsport. Davis and the Dragons have won their first two games in the LLWS, and are now one win away from the United States Championship Game.
Related: Mo’ne Davis on 94WIP
During their magical run, Davis has become a viral sensation receiving Tweets from numerous celebrities and a swarm of national media attention. On Friday, Davis became the first girl to throw a complete-game shutout in Little League World Series history, allowing only two hits and striking out eight hitters in a 4-0 Philly win.
Throughout the onslaught of media attention, Davis has shown amazing poise and calmness for anyone, let alone a 13-year-old. She says her dream is to be the point guard on the University of Connecticut’s Women’s basketball team.
Philadelphia’s Taney Dragons (2-0) face Las Vegas, Nevada (2-0) on Wednesday at 7:30pm E.T. The winner advances to the U.S. Championship game on Saturday.
You may also be interested in these Sports stories:
- Jay Wright On Sixers Possibly Drafting Mikal Bridges: ‘He Would Definitely Be Excited If He Was In Philly’
- Odubel Herrera’s Solo Homer Lifts Phillies To 4-3 Win Over Cardinals
- Want To Put A Ring On It? Eagles Launch World Championship Ring Sweepstakes
- Hey NBA Execs: Go Nova If You Want A Steal In The Draft
- Citak: It’s Time For The National League To Adopt The D.H.