By Dan Wing
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Eakins Oval played host to a celebration of one of America’s favorite greasy treats Friday night with the second annual Baconfest.
From bacon-coated donuts, to your typical bacon cheese burger, there was no shortage of options for a familiar favorite, or something a little bit different, which is exactly what this couple went with
“We’ve got Sriracha covered, fried chicken. A little bit of honey, and a little bit of bacon I think. And this is a Kimchi burger. The Kimchi has been aged seven-months I’m told.”
Looking for something a little heavier? Stas at Phoebe’s BBQ has you covered.
“The most popular is ‘Mad Love,’ and that’s beef brisket and pulled pork topped with the Mac and Cheese. Since it’s Baconfest, we had to top it off with a little bacon. It’s definitely a commitment, but it’s worth it.”
If desert is more your style, then the spot to be was at the Underground Donuts truck, where Mike and the crew cooked up some special, bacon coated treats. But Mike says one stands out from the others.
“We created an Elvis Donut. Which is a banana glaze with peanut butter swirl, chocolate chips, and bacon.”
The threat of rain didn’t scare away the crowd. Julie and her husband Dan from East Falls were there with young Skylar, who was happy to have a night out.
“Last year was really fun, and it’s still really fun right now,” Skylar said.
“Yeah, we like coming down here. Fresh air and good food,” Julie said.
The night also featured a screening of the movie Apollo 13, starring who else but Kevin Bacon.
You may also be interested in:
- Community Holds Vigil After 2-Year-Old Girl Struck, Killed In YMCA Parking Lot
- 3 Victims In Execution-Style Quadruple Homicide Found Without Clothes In Southwest Philadelphia Basement
- Video Captures Hit-And-Run At Wells Fargo Center Following Sixers Game
- Jury Convicts 2 Of 3 Inmates For Involvement In Deadly Delaware Prison Riot
- Bayada Founder Takes Meaning of ‘Season Of Giving’ Up 20 Million Notches