By Mike Dunn
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Mayor Nutter says his just-completed, six-day trip to France did not take him away from running the city.
Mayor Nutter went off to France with issues like school funding and the sale of PGW still unresolved, but he says it was not a bad time to travel abroad.
“They have these incredible new devices called a cell phone. They work internationally. I’ve stayed in touch with our team on the ground every day, as I always do,” he joked.
Nutter insists it was work, not play, that took him and wife, Lisa, to France — with bicycling and business development as the key goals.
“[The trip was] about improving our international standing with regard to our own bike race, which brings a tremendous amount of international attention to Philadelphia, to meet with [the CEO of] Saint-Gobain, and to promote and market the city to about 20-25 business people while I was there,” he explained.
He says he got to know the new mayor of Paris, Anne Hidalgo.
“I’ve invited her to Philadelphia. She asked me to invite President Obama to Paris, which I told her I would do. So I’m looking forward to a great partnership with her.”
Nutter also met with officials of Union Cycliste Internationale, which oversees international cycling,
and he’s hopeful those meetings could boost the chances that the city hosts a Women’s World Cup cycling event next year.
- Taylor Swift’s ‘Reputation’ Tour Is The Top Grossing Tour In The World
- Delaware State Police: 3 Suspects Posed As Phony Child Protective Services Caseworkers
- Shooting Suspect In Standoff At Los Angeles Trader Joe’s In Custody; 1 Woman Killed
- 8-Year-Old Girl On A Mission To Hug Police Officers In All 50 States
- Team Philadelphia Preps For Transplant Games Of America
- Heart Doctor For Former President George H.W. Bush Killed In Bicycle Drive-By Shooting
- Heavy Downpours Causing Flooding In Parts Of New Jersey
- Transgender Woman Says CVS Pharmacist Refused To Fill Her Hormone Prescription
- Cape May County Officials Warn Of Recent Check Scam Impacting Businesses
- Philadelphia Police Search For 3 Endangered Missing Children Believed To Be With Mother