By Mike Dunn
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Mayor Nutter says his just-completed, six-day trip to France did not take him away from running the city.
Mayor Nutter went off to France with issues like school funding and the sale of PGW still unresolved, but he says it was not a bad time to travel abroad.
“They have these incredible new devices called a cell phone. They work internationally. I’ve stayed in touch with our team on the ground every day, as I always do,” he joked.
Nutter insists it was work, not play, that took him and wife, Lisa, to France — with bicycling and business development as the key goals.
“[The trip was] about improving our international standing with regard to our own bike race, which brings a tremendous amount of international attention to Philadelphia, to meet with [the CEO of] Saint-Gobain, and to promote and market the city to about 20-25 business people while I was there,” he explained.
He says he got to know the new mayor of Paris, Anne Hidalgo.
“I’ve invited her to Philadelphia. She asked me to invite President Obama to Paris, which I told her I would do. So I’m looking forward to a great partnership with her.”
Nutter also met with officials of Union Cycliste Internationale, which oversees international cycling,
and he’s hopeful those meetings could boost the chances that the city hosts a Women’s World Cup cycling event next year.
- Police Searching For 2 Suspects Who Allegedly Slashed Tires Of 70 Cars In West Philadelphia
- 5-Year-Old Girl Dies After Fall From Fourth-Story Window In Allentown, Police Say
- Family, Friends Gather To Remember 23-Year-Old Eric Perry As Hunt For His Killer Continues
- Man Accused Of Killing Girlfriend In Front Of Their Newborn Daughter Curses At Judge In Court
- Pennsylvania Woman Tries To Set Ex-Boyfriend’s Home On Fire With Him Inside, Police say
- Police Believe Suicide Was Cause Of Death Of Man Whose Body Was Found In Roxborough Woods
- Penn State Ranked No. 2 In Universities Attended By CEOs, Linkedin Study Finds
- Family Who Lost 2 Of 3 Triplets Learn To Heal At Ronald McDonald House
- Radnor Township Police Warn Public About Coyote On Loose
- Woman Assaulted With Tire Iron After Dispute Over Wawa Parking Space, Police Say