PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Ryan Howard, who did not play in Wednesday night’s loss to the Giants against left-handed pitcher Madison Bumgarner, will not start for the second straight game on Thursday.
The Phillies released their lineup Thursday morning for their 1:05pm game against the Giants, and Darin Ruf will bat sixth and play first base against the Giants right-handed starting pitcher, Tim Hudson (8-6, 2.78 ERA). Howard has faced Hudson more than any pitcher in his career and is 22-67 (.328) with seven home runs and 17 RBI’s against the righty.
“Al [Morganti], I’m blown away by this,” a surprised Angelo Cataldi said on the 94WIP Morning Show on Thursday. “I don’t even know what to say and I’m on the air. If he [Sandberg] did this on his own, I don’t know why he would do that. He deserves a more gracious exit than being benched against a guy he kills.”
You may also be interested in these Sports stories:
- Jay Wright On Sixers Possibly Drafting Mikal Bridges: ‘He Would Definitely Be Excited If He Was In Philly’
- Odubel Herrera’s Solo Homer Lifts Phillies To 4-3 Win Over Cardinals
- Want To Put A Ring On It? Eagles Launch World Championship Ring Sweepstakes
- Hey NBA Execs: Go Nova If You Want A Steal In The Draft
- Citak: It’s Time For The National League To Adopt The D.H.