WALDWICK, N.J. (AP) — Authorities are investigating a traffic accident that claimed the life of a police officer in northern New Jersey.
Authorities say 32-year-old Waldwick Patrolman Christopher Goodell was operating radar to look for speeders when a tractor-trailer rear-ended his unmarked patrol car early Thursday. The truck pushed the vehicle into a retaining wall.
Bergen County Prosecutor John Molinelli says officials are trying to determine why the truck, driven by 28-year-old Ryan Cumberbatch of Brooklyn, New York, was in the shoulder of the road. He was not injured.
No charges have been filed.
Goodell was a five-year veteran of the force. He’s survived by his family and a fiancee.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Must Read Today’s Top Talkers:
- HGTV Stars Chip And Joanna Gaines Welcome Baby Number 5
- European Union Adds 25 Percent Import Tax On Billions Worth Of US Goods
- Survey: 44 Percent Of Americans Would Consider Career Move For Pet-Friendly Workplace
- Researchers Say Drinking 4 Cups Of Strong Coffee A Day Is Heart Healthy
- Delta Bans ‘Pit Bull-Type’ Dogs