By Tony Hanson and Dan Wing
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — The prosecutor says a vicious attack by men in Philadelphia’s historic district in June of 2012 was entertainment for them. Now, a 26-year-old Camden man has been sentenced to almost five years (57 months) in prison for his role in an attack on a man who was simply looking for his car after it had been towed from 4th Street.READ MORE: Enhanced Risk For Severe Weather Across Philadelphia Region Monday Afternoon
Prosecutor Denise Wolf says defendant Baldwin Centeno and his uncle came over from Camden to Independence Park to chill — and attack.
“This is their form of entertainment,” Wolf says. “Preying on our citizens in Philadelphia is what they want to do on a summer night. Come to — come over the bridge from Camden and wreak havoc on our city.”
They pummeled the man who simply asked if they had seen his car. He was left lying on the street, suffering brain injuries, and facial fractures. A metal plate was later implanted in his face.READ MORE: WATCH LIVE: Community Leaders Urge Philadelphians To Vote, Announce Activation Of Election Task Force
“It could have been kicks or punches, but we do know it is from the neck above. So, you are targeting somebody’s face to get them, to do as much damage as quickly as possible and to get them unconscious. That is completely savage.”
Baldwin Centeno must also pay $6,000 in restitution, and an $8,000 fine.
Centeno’s uncle is awaiting sentencing for this attack and another. Santos Centeno was convicted of attacking a husband and wife during a robbery in the same area four days later.
Guidelines called for a sentence of about 3-to-4 years in prison, but the prosecutor sought a sentence of about 6 years. Authorities say others were involved in the attack but have not been identified.MORE NEWS: Here Is Where The Pennsylvania Primary Race For The Senate Seat Stands