By Cherri Gregg

By Cherri Gregg

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Dozens of residents at a West Philadelphia senior living facility are breathing a sigh of relief, after a fire burned through a first floor apartment on Saturday afternoon.

“I looked out my door and I saw a whole lot of black smoke,” Ramona Dates tells KYW Newsradio.

Dates lived just a few doors down from the blaze. She says she grabbed her great-granddaughter and exited St. Matthews Manor in the 200 Block of North 57th Street. The four-story apartment building is home to seniors and the disabled.

The main damage appeared to be two busted out windows, smoke damage on the first floor and water damage in the lobby, forcing all residents to be evacuated.

Property manager Jackie Tolson says all but first floor residents will be allowed back in the building on Saturday. Those with no place to go will be put up by the red cross.

“It’s been an experience,” tolson said with tears in her eyes.

No injuries were reported. There’s no word yet on the cause of the fire.

Top Content On CBSPhilly

Watch & Listen LIVE