Chef Walter Staib presented wonderful recipes to use up all that leftover holiday ham. He recommends Dietz & Watson Chef’s Carved Ham for dinner, and he also shared some recipes for leftovers.READ MORE: North Philadelphia Crash Leaves Young Girl Dead; Sister, Mother Injured
Most families have lots of leftovers, but there’s no sense in letting it get boring! Chef Staib makes a ham and pepper hash for breakfast with fried eggs on top to serve your overnight guests, and there’s also a wonderful mid-afternoon pick-me-up, a ham salad sandwich served on biscuits, along with the most classic comfort food of them all, macaroni and cheese with ham.
All of these recipes are perfect for serving to family and friends who pop in those few, busy and festive days after Christmas.
Ham & Pepper Hash
by Walter Staib
Overnight preparation required
4 medium Yukon gold potatoes (skin on or off, depending on preference)
1 ½ pounds leftover Dietz & Watson® Chef Carved Ham
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 medium onions, julienned
1 green bell pepper, julienned
1 red bell pepper, julienned
1 yellow bell pepper, julienned
1 teaspoon thyme
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 bunch (1/4 cup) chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
8 large eggs, fried, for serving
1. Cook the potatoes whole in a pot of salted boiling water until fork-tender. Drain and refrigerate to cool overnight.
2. Slice the potatoes into ¼ x 2-inch slices and set aside.
3. Slice the ham into ¼ x 2-inch slices and set aside.
4. In a large sauté pan, melt the butter over medium heat and add the garlic. Cook until golden brown, 1-2 minutes.
5. Add the onions and peppers and cook until the liquid has been released and evaporated, 4-5 minutes.
6. Add the ham and cook 3-4 minutes, stirring very gently so as not to break up the pieces.
7. Toss in the potato, again stirring gently so as not to mush the potato, salt, pepper and herb rub. Cook until the potato is heated through, about 5-6 minutes.READ MORE: WATCH LIVE: Atlantic City Mayor Marty Small Sr. To Announce Major Boardwalk Rehabilitation Funding, Other Upcoming Projects
8. Remove from heat and transfer to a large serving platter. Sprinkle with the parsley and top with the fried eggs.
Ham Macaroni & Cheese
A Recipe By Chef Walter Staib
Serves 4 to 6
2 pounds Elbow Macaroni
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups milk
Freshly ground white pepper
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
1 pound Dietz & Watson® Yellow American Cheese, grated or finely chopped
½ pound Dietz & Watson® Chef Carved Ham, diced
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Hungarian paprika, for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F., and butter a 2-quart ovenproof casserole dish.
2. Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil, and toss in the macaroni. Boil until just slightly firm (al dente), drain in a colander (do not rinse), and set aside momentarily.
3. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, stir in the flour to form a smooth paste (roux), and cook for about 1 minute. Pour in the milk, whisking constantly, and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat, season with salt and white pepper, and add the nutmeg and thyme. Stir in the American cheese a bit at a time until incorporated and smooth.
4. Add the macaroni and the ham to the cheese sauce, stirring gently to coat, and pour into the prepared casserole dish.
Sprinkle the top evenly with Parmesan cheese, and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the casserole from the oven, and place under the broiler until bubbly and golden brown. (Watch carefully to prevent the top from burning.)
5. Sprinkle with paprika, and serve hot.
Ham Salad on Biscuits
A Recipe by Chef Walter Staib
2 boiled Eggs, peeled and chopped
1 cup Mayonnaise
2 tablespoons Dietz & Watson© stone ground mustard
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
2 Dietz & Watson Kosher© Pickles, julienned
3 spears Celery, diced
2 tablespoons onion, chopped
1 pound Dietz & Watson© Chef’s Carved Ham, julienned
1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
Cranberry mustard, as needed
4 large biscuits, sliced
4 slices Dietz & Watson© Lacey Swiss Cheese
4 Lettuce leaves
4 slices romaine tomato
Sandwich spread, as needed
1. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, salt and freshly ground pepper, pickles, celery, onion, ham and pepper flakes. Stir to combine.
2. Chill in refrigerator until ready to serve.MORE NEWS: House Votes Against Taking Up Gun Bill After Texas Killings
3. Spread cranberry mustard onto each biscuit. Spread sandwich spread on the bottom of each biscuit. Place one slice of cheese on top bun. Heap ham salad on bottom of bun, top with lettuce and tomato.