PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – When you’re a kid, warm weather means one thing: summer vacation!
Sadly, things get a little bit more complicated once we grow up and realize traveling costs hard-earned money.READ MORE: Former Bordentown Police Chief Frank Nucera Sentencing Postponed For Medical Reasons
But you don’t have to spend a fortune on your summer trip. Travel expert Bob Diener, President of hotel flash-sale website Getaroom.com, has some tips for traveling on a budget.
1. Stay out of the Vegas heat by finding a good hotel deal with a pool. With the Strip’s mega-resorts, you can easily plan to only venture outside when you are hitting the pool. Kid-friendly hotels such as Circus Circus or Excalibur can be had for as low as $23 a night during the summer.
2. Enjoy San Diego’s attractions on a budget. It’s sunny nearly every day in San Diego and temperatures rarely break 80 degrees by the coast. Heading to see Shamu and friends at Sea World? Look at hotels such as the Good Nite Inn, which offer great rates and a location that can’t be beat. Or choose the Hotel Circle area, which boasts many quality accommodations that are a short drive from Balboa Park or numerous beaches.READ MORE: 3 Men Injured Following Shooting Outside Illegal After-Hours Club In North Philadelphia, Police Say
3. Stay cool and eat well in San Francisco. The popular saying “the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco” is a truism, especially for travelers coming from the sweltering east coast or south. Daytime temperatures sometimes do not break 70 due to fog and the cooling effect of the ocean, a phenomenon that can feel lovely to people coming from hotter climates. Use a site such as Getaroom.com, with its limited-time flash sales, to scoop up big discounts in some of San Francisco’s best neighborhoods.
4. The Big Apple doesn’t always mean big bucks. Dreaming of strolling through Central Park? You don’t need to choose a $500 a night room to have the perfect location. For instance, the Wellington Hotel sounds expensive, but it and other places can be booked from $90 a night and up during the summer. The hotel is close to Lincoln Center, dozens of top restaurants, and Lincoln Center.
5. Revisit the nation’s history in Boston. Visit this city’s many popular attractions, such as the Freedom Trail and Bunker Hill Monument. Grab a hotel such as the Boston Ramada Inn, which offers good accommodations at a price point from around $80. This spot puts you close to many different things to see and do in Beantown.
6. Keep your journey closer to home. Go to the beach, see shows and hit the blackjack tables all in one trip in Atlantic City, where rates are the lowest in years. Again, use a site like getaroom.com to book quality accommodations at Harrah’s or Showboat from $36 a night.MORE NEWS: Philadelphia Police Investigating Possible Shooting In North Philly After 10-Year-Old Boy Suffers Minor Lacerations
And if all else fails, a day trip to the Jersey Shore is always a great option – especially after Superstorm Sandy, when the beaches and boardwalks need our business more than ever.