By Tiffany Bucciarelli, PhillyHealthWatch Host
It is that time of year when everyone is making their New Year’s resolutions. Believe it or not, out of the top 12 New Year’s resolutions, five of them are health and fitness related! Here are five reasons why you should be motivated to be fit in 2012!READ MORE: Facility Issues Close Yet Another Philadelphia Rec Center Amid Rising Gun Violence Problem
Top Five Health-Related New Year’s Resolutions
1. Drink Less Alcohol – Alcohol can damage nearly every organ in the body when used in excess over a long period of time. Alcohol specifically effects and damages the nervous system.
2. Get Fit – Physical activity can prevent or treat many chronic health conditions brought on by an unhealthy lifestyle or
3. Lose Weight – Having a large mid section and being obese can lead to multiple health issues. Losing weight, especially around the middle, can reduce heart disease, stroke, and other illnesses.
4. Manage Stress – Chronic stress may cause various physical manifestations like, asthma, back pain, arrhythmias, fatigue, headaches, ulcers, and suppress the immune system. Stress also increases the Cortisol hormone levels in your body causing you to gain access weight.
5. Quit Smoking – On average, about 500,000 deaths per year are attributed to smoking-related diseases, in the United States alone.MORE NEWS: FDA Authorizes Pfizer's COVID-19 Booster Shot For Americans Over 65, Those At High-Risk
Lets make 2012 the Year of Healthy Resolutions! Form healthier habits for the New Year by starting today. Eat healthier during the holidays so you can begin the New Year with more success and less fat under your belt. Exercise more by taking the stairs, walking the dog, or increasing your flexibility while watching your favorite television program. Drink less at the holiday parties, or not at all. Smoke less during the holidays so you are already a step closer to quitting for the New Year. Make 2012
YOUR healthiest year!