Tale Of The Tape: Michael Carter-Williams vs. Dante Exum
- Physical Measurables6'5.75", 184 pounds, 6'7.25" wingspan, 41.0 max vertical jump6'6", 196 pounds, 6'9.5" wingspan, 34.5 max vertical jump
- AgeOctober 10, 1991 (age 22)July 13, 1995 (age 18)
- Basketball BackgroundMCW is from Hamilton, Massachusetts. He transferred to St. Andrew's in Barrington, Rhode Island after his freshman year. Then, he played two years at Syracuse. Last season, he was the NBA Rookie Of The Year with the Sixers.Exum is from Australia, born in Melbourne suburb of East Melbourne. His father played for UNC and won a NCAA championship in 1982 and was drafted by the Denver Nuggets. Exum played for the Keilor Basketball Association as a junior and attended Lake Ginninderra Secondary College in Canberra.
- StrengthsMCW has tremendous vision, is extremely athletic, big for his position, excellent defender, above-average rebounder for a guard, plays well in transition, and can finish with either hand. Good-spirited competitive kid, who proved in 2013-14 he can succeed in the NBA.Exum is extremely fluid with the ball and outstanding later quickness. Has excellent size for his position, can finish through contact with either hand at the rim, smooth player with an improving multi-faceted offensive game. He is a versatile player as well, and his length and speed makes him a superb defender.
- WeaknessesBad outside shooter, weak upper-body strength, turnover prone as a true point-guard, and likes to gamble defensively looking for steals.Unproven against high-level competition. He has played off-the-ball often and ball-handling skills are suspect. True position is unknown and leaping ability is average at best. Also has a very inconsistent outside shot.
MCW is the safer option with less weaknesses, but if Hinkie and the Sixers want to roll-the-dice here, Exum is the younger, more intriguing player, with tremendous star-power type upside.