The convention takes place aboard the historic USS Olympia, berthed at Penn’s Landing, through Sunday.
The process of transferring the USS Olympia to a new caretaker is moving forward.
Six groups vying to become custodian of an historic US naval cruiser now berthed in Philadelphia have passed the first hurdle in the takeover process.
This Friday through Sunday, the living history crew aboard the USS Olympia will give visitors a historical look back at life on the Spanish-American war cruiser.
Jesse Lebovics, manager of the historic ships for the Independence Seaport Museum, says letters of intent to acquire the Spanish American war crusier are expected from at least five groups in Philadelphia, Baltimore, North Carolina and California.
The oldest steel warship still afloat is open for visitors, but showing signs of wear and tear under the water line. That, paired with a changing mission for its current caretaker, prompted the search for a new one.
The summit drew a TV crew from, of all places, the Ukraine, evidence of the ship’s storied past.
The US Coast Guard cutter barque “Eagle” arrived at Penn’s Landing this morning on the first stop of its 75th-anniversary tour across the Atlantic.
We told you yesterday that a West Coast group wants to make a bid for the USS Olympia, the nearly 120-year-old cruiser now at Penn’s Landing, and they’ll get their chance this spring.
The USS Olympia, berthed at Penn’s Landing, has a new suitor a continent away, but the venerable warship needs money whether it’s to stay or go.
The Independence Seaport Museum, which owns Admiral George Dewey’s flagship, has announced that enough money has been raised for basic repairs for the historic war ship.
This may be the last summer the public can visit the historic warship Olympia at Penn’s Landing, as officials decide the ship’s future.
- 3 On Your Side: New Shore Rental Charge
- Couple With Down Syndrome Gets Surprising Offer From Same Movie Theater They Say Mistreated Them
- Many Folks Spending Memorial Day Weekend Doing A Lot Of…Nothing
- Suspect Wanted In Sex Assault Of 15-Year-Old In Philadelphia
- Christie Acknowledges Progress Made, But Says 'It’s Not Where I Want It To Be'
- Tractor Trailer Carrying... Operation Brotherly Love: ... Namaste: Yoga Poses For... WANTED
- Too Quick To Tweet Israel 65- Kidcast Photos Rittenhouse Row Spring... Stotesbury Cup Regatta-...
- WIP Morning Show Intern... Baseball Shots Of The Week –... 138th Preakness Stakes Italian Market Festival
- Celebrity Photobombs GHI @Home - Copper Roofing Students Protest Budget Cuts... Barn, House Engulfed In Blaze...