Philadelphia Firefighters Union
The Philadelphia firefighters union heads to court Friday asking a judge to stop the Nutter Administration from imposing transfers of senior firefighters in the new year.
Common Pleas Court judge Idee Fox heard nearly two hours of arguments on Monday from the city and the union over the arbitration award, which the city says it can’t afford.
Firefighters Local 22 is asking the Pennsylvania Labor Relations Board to force the Nutter administration to turn over internal documents about last April’s fatal fire in Kensington.
Leaders of the firefighters’ union in Philadelphia are calling for the resignation of Philadelphia fire commissioner Lloyd Ayers and two of his top deputies following the death last month of two firemen in a Kensington warehouse fire.
“We’re just grieving, looking for answers that are going to take time to get,” said Local 22 president Bill Gault.
Philadelphia firefighters claim they are being punished by the department for being injured on the job.
“Anything you could do, we would greatly appreciate,” said Bill Gault, head of Firefighters Local 22, in a personal plea to City Council members.
KYW Newsradio has learned mass transfers of Philadelphia Fire Department Paramedics are currently scheduled to take effect in January. But, the president of the Philadelphia Firefighters’ Union vows to fight it and has filed a grievance to stop it.
“It’s a thank you to them for being part of our extended family. They’re not forgotten.”
The union that represents city firefighters — which has battled Mayor Nutter on contract issues and station brownouts — is now endorsing Nutter’s sole Democratic challenger: Milton Street.
The head of Philadelphia Firefighters Union now says a combination of communication confusion and response limitations help lead to delays in providing Advanced Life Support.
Fire deaths in Philadelphia rose slightly last year, however the Nutter administration and the firefighters union are squabbling over the cause of the increase.
Thirteen firefighters and one police officer lost their lives in the line of duty during the Friedlander Leather Remnants factory fire on December 21st and 22nd, 1910, after walls collapsed on first responders.
- 3 On Your Side: New Shore Rental Charge
- Couple With Down Syndrome Gets Surprising Offer From Same Movie Theater They Say Mistreated Them
- Many Folks Spending Memorial Day Weekend Doing A Lot Of…Nothing
- Suspect Wanted In Sex Assault Of 15-Year-Old In Philadelphia
- Christie Acknowledges Progress Made, But Says 'It’s Not Where I Want It To Be'
- Tractor Trailer Carrying... Operation Brotherly Love: ... Namaste: Yoga Poses For... WANTED
- Too Quick To Tweet Israel 65- Kidcast Photos Rittenhouse Row Spring... Stotesbury Cup Regatta-...
- WIP Morning Show Intern... Baseball Shots Of The Week –... 138th Preakness Stakes Italian Market Festival
- Celebrity Photobombs GHI @Home - Copper Roofing Students Protest Budget Cuts... Barn, House Engulfed In Blaze...