“The budget, in its current form, simply cannot support the services provided this year,” SRC chair Pedro Ramos told Philadelphia lawmakers.
The School Reform Commission okayed the sale of $265-million in bonds just to get the district through its deficit this year.
The start date for Philadelphia’s new schools superintendent Dr. William Hite could be announced soon.
The School Reform Commission has selected its new superintendent/CEO of the Philadelphia School District, officials announced Friday.
Mayor Nutter and the head of the School Reform Commission say tough choices lie ahead, now that City Council has stood firm in keeping the amount of new money for the schools to less than half of what Nutter wanted.
A school district spokesman confirms that Masch is leaving “by mutual agreement” with the district.
Public testimony is on tap today, on day two of the school district’s budget hearings at City Council. The school district is banking on more money from the city.
School District of Philadelphia officials say that without an additional $94 million from the mayor’s “Actual Value Initiative” property tax overhaul, schools may not have enough personnel to open in the fall.
School District leaders met with City Council members yesterday, to try to persuade them to support Mayor Nutter’s Actual Value tax plan and the extra $94-million it would provide for the district.
Members of the Philadelphia School Reform Commission have voted to close eight of the schools recommended in the District’s Facilities Master Plan Thursday night.
One day after the head of Philadelphia’s School Reform Commission admitted to financial mismanagement under the SRC’s previous leadership, City Council members voiced misgivings about raising an extra $90 million to help bail out the school district.
In blunt testimony, SRC chairman Pedro Ramos said that the previous SRC applied stimulus money to new programs rather than using it to address the long-term structural imbalance of the district’s budget.
The School Reform Commission is in the process of holding 10 consecutive school closing hearings at the School District’s Education Center on North Broad Street.
The School Reform Commission has taken a step to speed-up the process of closing nine public schools in the city.
The School District of Philadelphia is spending money in the hopes of saving money.
- Actor In Final Episode Of ‘Sopranos’ Stunned By Loss Of Friend Gandolfini
- Eyewitness News Speaks With Gov. Christie, Mrs. Christie At National Dine Out Day
- Main Line Manhunt Ends With Bank Robbery Suspects In Custody
- Bear Spotted Climbing Playground Set In Bucks County
- Firefighters Find Body At Allentown Blaze
- James Gandolfini Most Romantic US Honeymoon... GHI @Home - Metal Shingle /... Athletes We Wish Stayed In...
- Tiger Woods At The US Open At... Final Round: The U.S. Open At... Baseball Shots Of The Week –... Behind the Scenes: TP...
- Orr At The Shore 2013 NCC Retro-Rama Party The Philadelphia Diamonds Of... 11th Annual Gary Papa 5K Run-...
- 2013 US Open At Merion Storm Photos: June 13, 2013 WIP Morning Show Father's Day... US Open At Merion Practice...