Talk about a baptism by fire: On the first day of Lauren Colegrove’s journalism internship at Catholic News Service in Rome, the pope announced his resignation.
Black smoke again billowed from the chimney of the Sistine Chapel on Wednesday, meaning that Catholic cardinals hadn’t elected a pope on their second or third rounds of balloting.
After seeing black smoke rising from the chimney of the Sistine Chapel at the Vatican, the Catholic world knew that a pope is still to be elected. The voting resumes in the morning on Wednesday.
Rob Traver, and his wife, Pam Porter, booked their vacation to Rome some time back. But timing, as they say, is everything, and they’re here at a historic point in the life of the Catholic Church.
The mass included prayers for the church and the cardinals themselves as they begin their work to select a new pope.
The cardinals of the Catholic Church will enter the conclave on Tuesday, following a morning mass in St. Peter’s Basilica.
A group of Latin language students from McCallum High School in Austin, Texas, flew into Philadelphia Saturday to make a connecting flight to Rome with their teacher and chaperones.
Cardinals begin the selection of a new pope inside the Sistine Chapel on Tuesday and great measures have been taken to ensure the privacy of the voting process.
We learned Friday that the Conclave to elect the successor to Pope Benedict XVI begins on Tuesday, March 12th.
Cardinals have set Tuesday as the start date for the conclave to elect the next pope.
Pope Benedict XVI left Vatican City for the last time Thursday and became the became the first pope in about 600 years to retire.
“He was first of all a great teacher. He was a great preacher of the word of God. He was a great pastor of the people,” Rigali said.
The Greater Philadelphia Tourism Marketing Corporation says it’s nearly two years away, but the meeting will bring many visitors, and since the event is geared toward families, the city’s family-friendly events will benefit.
Some worshipers are confident the new Pope will have a large role in reversing the trend of the declining number of American Catholics and shrinking enrollment at Catholic schools.
Cardinal Justin Rigali, who stepped down as Philadelphia archbishop after a landmark indictment of priests in relation to child molestation, is one of the 11 U.S. cardinals expected to vote in the conclave.
- Review Of Philadelphia Police Policies Gets Underway
- Judge Imposes Maximum Sentence On Man For Violent Robbery Of Elderly Woman
- Car Carrier Crashes Into Low Clearance Bridge In Whitemarsh
- Man Shot By Police In Carney's Point After Car Stop
- Source: Federal Funds Might Be Made Available For Philadelphia Schools
- Most Romantic US Honeymoon... GHI @Home - Metal Shingle /... 11th Annual Gary Papa 5K Run-... Athletes We Wish Stayed In...
- Tiger Woods At The US Open At... Final Round: The U.S. Open At... Baseball Shots Of The Week –... Behind the Scenes: TP...
- Orr At The Shore 2013 NCC Retro-Rama Party The Philadelphia Diamonds Of... 2013 US Open At Merion
- Storm Photos: June 13, 2013 WIP Morning Show Father's Day... US Open At Merion Practice... Julius Erving Through The...