Jury selection got underway Monday in the trial of a daycare worker charged with brutally, physically and sexually assaulting a 5-year-old girl kidnapped from Bryant Elementary School in Upper Darby in January of 2013.
“The school district, in an affirmative and reckless way, allowed a little girl to be taken from the cocoon of a kindergarten class into a den of horror,” says attorney Tom Kline, who now represents the girl and her family.
“There was a failure to train the substitute teacher who allowed this young, innocent child to be taken from the school,” the family’s attorney says.
Despite strong early suspicion others were involved, a Philadelphia prosecutor now says there is no evidence of conspiracy in the case of a 5-year-old girl who was abducted from Bryant Elementary School in January.
Twenty-year-old Christina Regusters is the only person charged with the kidnapping, but an attorney is convinced that others were involved.
The case caused repercussions at Bryant Elementary School and across the Philadelphia school district after the girl was permitted to leave the school with a woman in a hijab posing as her mother.
Defense attorney W. Fred Harrison Jr. had argued that defendant Christina Regusters has no previous criminal record, has denied the allegations in this case, and has ties to the community.
By John McDevitt PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – The investigation continues into the abduction and brutal assault of a 5-year-old West Philadelphia girl last month. With one woman in custody, police continue to search for other suspects. […]
Philadelphia district attorney Seth Williams says what happended to the girl is horrific and Christina Regusters (photo) did not act alone.