Broad Street Run
The mayor says it will show unified support for victims of the Boston Marathon bombings and raise awareness of the “One Fund Boston.”
As of Friday afternoon, just over 1,000 people had been “invited” to partake, with 832 who said they were “going.”
One woman says she is committed to race in the Broad Street Run next month in honor of the victims of the Boston Marathon bombings.
Amtrak Police Department is stepping up patrols and conducting increased sweeps of stations and track right-of-way’s.
Mayor Nutter said runners and spectators will see much more visible security presence to make sure both participants and onlookers are safe.
The Oddessey half marathon is a 13.1 mile race through Fairmount Park, designed by runners with the focus on runners.
The lottery this year comes after much frustration a year ago when, the Broad Street Run website crashed as registration opened.
“There were quite a number that were shut out of the process because it opened and closed so fast,” says Broad Street race director Jim Marino, “so we felt the lottery would be a much easier way for everybody to get involved.”
Chris discussed getting to the Sixers game through the chaos of the Broad Street Run. He talks to Jeff Roe and Michael Bronstein on the Monday Morning Matchup, Phillies Manager Charlie Manuel and Entertainment Tonight’s Nancy O’Dell.
The winner finished the race with an unofficial time of 47 minutes flat. His name has yet to be announced. The women’s winner, Esther Erb, finished in about 56 minutes.
“We’re having a yard sale, and all of the proceeds are going to be donated to the American Cancer Society or the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure,” say Katie Stonelake and Kara Schmidt.
Broad Street runners and those cheering them on will hear sweet music at mile three thanks to the second annual Uptown Drum for the Run.
Forty-thousand people are expected for the Broad Street Run this weekend, and among them is a Montgomery county mom who has turned a devastating tragedy into inspiration.
Lincoln Financial Field is hosting a “Broad Street Run Expo,” giving runners a chance to buy running gear and race memorabilia.
The open registration field is limited to 30,000, and organizers say it took four days to reach that capacity last year.
- 1 Hospitalized In Police-Involved Shooting In North Philadelphia
- Health: Dangerous Deals Undercover Investigations Leads To Man Running from CBS 3 Cameras Again
- Philly Embracing Role As Title Town For Colleges
- Labor Leaders Unveil Petition Calling On Mayor Nutter To Return Award Bearing Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s Name
- President Obama To Visit Jersey Shore With Gov. Christie On Tuesday
- Operation Brotherly Love: ... Namaste: Yoga Poses For... WANTED Too Quick To Tweet
- Israel 65- Kidcast Photos Rittenhouse Row Spring... Stotesbury Cup Regatta-... WIP Morning Show Intern...
- Baseball Shots Of The Week –... 138th Preakness Stakes Italian Market Festival Celebrity Photobombs
- GHI @Home - Copper Roofing Students Protest Budget Cuts... Barn, House Engulfed In Blaze... 2013 Stotesbury Cup Regatta