Archdiocese of Philadelphia
The prosecution is expected to rest today and the defense will begin in the trial of a priest and former lay teacher charged with sexually assaulting the same boy back in 1999 and 2000.
Independence Mission Schools (“IMS”) is the umbrella organization for 16 parish elementary schools, all of which charge tuition but, controversially, use both public and private funds for financial aid.
Defrocked priest Edward Avery pleaded guilty last year to sexually assaulting the same boy who has also accused the defendants now on trial: Father Charles Engelhardt and Bernard Shero.
There was testimony today that defendant Bernard Shero tried to commit suicide in 2011, on the morning he was supposed to surrender to face charges he sexually assaulted the boy, then 11.
Another former priest accused by the same man has since pleaded guilty.
It was attack and counterattack in a Philadelphia courtroom, as another case of alleged clergy sexual abuse in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia begins.
Retired Philadelphia Cardinal Anthony Bevilacqua, who figured prominently in two grand jury reports exposing clergy sexual abuse in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia, died at the end of January.
There were closures, consolidations, and reprieves for area Catholic schools this year.
The trial evidence — a lot of it from the church’s own secret files — exposed sins committed over a period of decades by supposed men of God.
It was a rough year for the Archdiocese of Philadelphia, which had to sell off several valuable properties including the archbishop’s residence and a seashore villa, lay off employees, and fold the “Catholic Standard and Times” newspaper.
Santa showed up with his helpers – much of the defensive backfield for the Eagles – to distribute toys at the annual Archbishop’s Christmas Benefit for Children.
SEPTA will remain out of service on Tuesday morning. Officials say it will take eight hours after the storm passes to make sure things aren’t damaged.
Casey Carter, standing, is a national education consultant who has studied Catholic, charter, and public schools.
Nine more people have filed suit against the Archdiocese of Philadelphia, alleging sexual abuse by priests and a coverup by the archdiocese.
“No one really knows what it’s worth,” says an official of the auction company, “but by putting it up for auction, exposing it to the market, we let the buyers tell us.”
- Caught On Tape: Gunman Opens Fire Inside Strip Club With AK-47
- Constitution Center Deal Will Bring an Original 'Bill of Rights' to Philadelphia
- New Jersey Changes Handicapped Parking Program
- Chester County Man Charged In ‘Execution’ Murder Of Long-Time Girlfriend
- Montco Man in Wheelchair Sentenced For Shooting 2, Including His Mother
- Too Quick To Tweet Israel 65- Kidcast Photos Rittenhouse Row Spring... Stotesbury Cup Regatta-...
- WIP Morning Show Intern... Baseball Shots Of The Week –... 138th Preakness Stakes Italian Market Festival
- Celebrity Photobombs GHI @Home - Copper Roofing Students Protest Budget Cuts... Barn, House Engulfed In Blaze...
- 2013 Stotesbury Cup Regatta Angelina Jolie Through The... 8th Annual Ride Of Silence Prince Harry Visits Sandy...