Ed Benkin has been reporting sports for KYW Newsradio since April 2004, but he’s long been a familiar face in the KYW newsroom and around the Delaware Valley.
Born in Philadelphia and raised in South Jersey, Benkin attended Cherokee High School in Marlton, NJ. At Rowan University, one of his teachers was longtime KYW South Jersey bureau chief Ed Kasuba. Besides attending classes at Rowan, Benkin worked as sports director there at its radio station, WGLS, where he also did play-by-play and hosted a sports talk show.
Benkin was first hired as a desk assistant at KYW Newsradio in 1991. But in 1993, a South Jersey cable TV system beckoned, so Benkin made the leap as sports director — handling anchoring, play-by-play, and sports-talk duties.
Since 1995, Benkin has been a sports announcer for Princeton University. He can be heard doing play-by-play during their football games, and often during hockey, lacrosse, and basketball games as well.
Benkin was ESPN Radio’s Philadelphia correspondent for a number of years, and also anchored their “Sports Center” program on radio. He also writes news and sports features for the South Jersey regional newspaper “The Central Record”, and has been heard as play-by-play announcer for the Trenton Thunder, Trenton Titans, and the Reading Royals.
Besides his sports reporting duties at KYW Newsradio, Benkin also does updates at our sister sports radio station, 94 WIP.
Ed lives in Burlington Township, NJ with his two girls: Lauren, born in November 2004, and Jessica, born in June 2008.
With much of the attention focused on Chip Kelly, the Eagles assistant coaches are also keeping busy.
The Eagles kicked off another round of OTAs in South Philadelphia, and c the theme under new head coach Chip Kelly continues to be “change.”
Eagles QB Nick Foles welcomed the change of Chip Kelly’s practices.
The Eagles went through their second day of mini-camp, and the fast-pace has been the theme for all of the players.
Chip Kelly doesn’t plan to slow down anytime soon.
Howie Roseman wishes the Eagles weren’t picking so high in the upcoming draft.
The Eagles are in South Philadelphia going though a round of conditioning workouts.
Evesham Township mayor Randy Brown has spent the last five years working as a kicking consultant for the Baltimore Ravens.
The Big Five welcomed five new members into its Hall of Fame during a ceremony at the Palestra on Friday.
Flyers must find a way to fit training camp into a week of practices.
The 2012 Olympics proved to be the tournament of redemption for Carli Lloyd and Heather Mitts.
Andy Reid said that as of right now, Nick Foles is the backup QB.
The Eagles held their first practice at the Novacare Complex since breaking camp at Lehigh.
Andy Reid was happy with his team’s work ethic though a grueling three and-a-half weeks at Lehigh.
Eagles center Jason Kelce says that moving Demetress Bell back to second string could motivate him.
- Author Hopes To Lure People Back Into Studying History With Book On Civil War
- Philadelphia To See Economic Boost From NCAA Lacrosse Championships
- 3 On Your Side: New Shore Rental Charge
- Couple With Down Syndrome Gets Surprising Offer From Same Movie Theater They Say Mistreated Them
- Many Folks Spending Memorial Day Weekend Doing A Lot Of…Nothing
- Tractor Trailer Carrying... Operation Brotherly Love: ... Namaste: Yoga Poses For... WANTED
- Too Quick To Tweet Israel 65- Kidcast Photos Rittenhouse Row Spring... Stotesbury Cup Regatta-...
- WIP Morning Show Intern... Baseball Shots Of The Week –... 138th Preakness Stakes Italian Market Festival
- Celebrity Photobombs GHI @Home - Copper Roofing Students Protest Budget Cuts... Barn, House Engulfed In Blaze...