YEADON, Pa. (CBS/AP) — A fire apparently caused by a malfunctioning transformer box at an apartment complex in Delaware County forced dozens of residents out into the bitter cold.

The fire was reported around 2:30 a.m. Sunday at the Forrest Creek Apartments in Yeadon.

Residents of one building said they heard an explosion and noticed smoke. Firefighters soon arrived and eventually determined that a transformer box mounted on the front of one building had shorted out, causing the small fire.

Water Main Break Floods Homes In Fox Chase

Crews evacuated the building and cut off power to the complex’s other buildings, forcing the evacuation of 84 apartments.

Many residents sat in their vehicles or stood outside, huddled under blankets, until buses arrived to take them to Yeadon Borough Hall.

No injuries were reported.

(TM and © Copyright 2017 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2017 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Watch & Listen LIVE