Councilman Henon Speaks Publicly For First Time About FBI Raids

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Philadelphia city council returned to session Thursday after a twelve week recess.

Councilman Bobby Henon was back in his seat, but under a cloud, making his first public statement about last month’s FBI raids on his offices.

Councilman Henon has declined comment since agents carried boxes of documents out of his City Hall office on August 5th, the same day agents raided the electricians union and the home of its leader, John Dougherty.

Speaking about it for the first time, Henon says he doesn’t know why they searched his offices:

“I don’t know what the motivations are, but what I can tell you to date is that law enforcement has not contacted me, or any member of my staff, to my knowledge.”

Henon says he’ll continue to serve the city with pride and dignity and council president Darrell Clarke confirmed Henon will continue to serve as majority leader:

“I don’t know what’s going on. I’m not sure he does but the simple reality is his status in this council has not changed.”

Council also passed several bills that had languished since June, including one raising fees for services from the Sheriff’s office and one adding a new step for the development of subdivisions. Members offered bills that would increase parking at multi-family dwellings, ban restrictive covenants when shuttered supermarkets are sold and giving the land bank priority when properties are sold to collect tax liens.

More from Pat Loeb
Comments

Comments are closed.

More From CBS Philly

Guide To Oktoberfests And Other Fall Beer Events
Sign Up Now!
Taz Goes Big!

Listen Live